I always was curious about Windows Home Server (WHS) and during a Microsoft LiveMeeting on WHS with Jonas Svensson talked about wanted to see some PowerShell in WHS. Well, here’s a start.
I’m showing my Windows 7 (64bit) using Windows Virtual PC. I have been able to build my virtual network with Windows 2008 STD SP1(32bit), and Windows Home Server.
Installing PowerShell on the Windows Home Server:
1. Make sure that WHS has all the Windows Updates (including the SP2)
2. Install the WMF (Windows Management Framework) for Windows Server 2003:
(Windows Management Framework Core (WinRM 2.0 and Windows PowerShell 2.0))
What to do after PowerShell is installed?
1. If you’re creating a Windows 7 virtual machine, *install “Integration Features”.
2. Open the PowerShell Console.
3. Type “Enable-PSRemoting”, answer with a “Y”. This will setup your PowerShell remoting features to allow connectivity to other machines to run admin and/or other task oriented scripts.
4. Install WMF (Windows Management Framework) on all other non-Windows 7 computer and repeat step #3. (don’t forget to pick the correct installation package for your Windows version)
*Note: Few things about installing the Windows Virtual PC “Integration Features”:
1. It only support Windows 7, Vista, and XP.
2. It will BSD will happened on Windows 2008 SP1 virtual machine.
3. Installation will complete in Windows Home Server (it did work for me).
Where’s PowerShell Installed??
You will find PowerShell under “Start | All Programs | Accessories | Windows PowerShell”
What’s included with PowerShell?
1. The PowerShell Console prompt.
2. The free PowerShell editor or “PowerShell ISE (Integrated-Scripting-Environment)”.
PowerShell come with a very extensive documentation at your fingertips. Use “Help” in the PowerShell command prompt:
a. Try typing: Help Get-service –detailed
b. Or just type: Help
Welcome to PowerShell!!
Expanding your knowledge… Want to learn more about PowerShell?
Here’s some links:
Please, check the internet for more PowerShell information…. the truth is out there!!