Here’s my experience installing my Windows 7 RTM which I was very excited to do. After experiencing an almost perfect Beta and RC then it was a little more work with RTM. Please, don’t get me wrong but I put myself in the spot.
My headaches after installing Windows 7. I had some roadblocks when putting back all my applications,
So, this is what I learn from my own mistakes: (Is not Microsoft fault!)
1. And, this is common sense, Create backup image of your system and/or backup your files on another drive
2. In my case again, I couldn’t upgrade from RC to RTM but the good new is that, if you on Vista, then you will be able to upgrade. So I did a clean install.
3. I had problems installing applications, they will failed no matter what you do. My problem was cause because I didn’t connect my machine to the internet. So, this setup errors was cleared after my connected to the internet and download the Windows Updates.
4. SQL Server 2008 RTM (not SP1) installation failed on my first try. Then, I decided to install Visual Studio 2010 (which include SQL Server 2008/Express). Then, I was able to Install SQL 2008.
5. I had problems Installing my Windows Live components (mail, writer, meeting) the whole packages failed due to a program conflicting behind the scene. Found the program and did an uninstall to clear the condition. The program was one of the components in Visual Studio 2010 “Tools for Application” that somehow (in my case) was affecting my Windows Live installation.
So, after I clear all my application installation issues, then I was to complete loading all my programs.
Now, for those who are still experiencing SQL Server 2008 installation issues, please check the following blog: ( it may help you ) http://bit.ly/g6iSZ
I truly love my Windows 7!!!… its been running Smooth!!!